Diet Analysis Assignment
Students will compare their food intake with the suggestions of the “choosemyplate”, and identify the changes that should be made to their diets.
- Keep track of what you eat in a 24 hour time period. This should be done by writing down everything that is eaten from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed.
- Go to the website http://www.choosemyplate.gov, and follow these instructions:
- Click on “super tracker” (located at bottom of page under “online tools”)
- Create a profile
- Proceed to food tracker
- Enter the foods that you have recorded on your 24 food log. Make sure that you enter the quantity.
- After all foods are entered, at the top of the page click on “reports”
- Click on “food groups and calories” and save this page.
- Then click “Nutrient report” and save this page.
- In bullet point format (see below) compare the recommendations with your actual intake from the “food groups and calories” sheet that you printed. I do not just want the numbers from the page. This is an analysis assignment, so explain why the numbers are appearing the way that they are. For example, if you are not consuming enough milk explain why you are not. Items that should be compared are:
- Dairy (4 points)
- Proteins (4 points)
- Vegetable intake(4 points)
- Fruit intake(4 points)
- Grains intake(4 points)
- I only want you to compare the overall target and average eaten. You do not need to compare all of the subgroups, so only the numbers that are in the colored headings.
- Example: The choosemyplate website recommended that I consume 3 cups of dairy per day; however, I only consumed 2 cups. This is not typical of my diet, because I usually have a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast. The reason why I did not have cereal this morning is because I ran out of milk last night, and did not have time to go to the store to buy more.
- In bullet point format (see below) compare the recommendations with your actual intake from the “Nutrient reports” sheet that you printed. I do not just want the numbers from the page. This is an analysis assignment, so explain why the numbers are appearing the way that they are. For example, if you are not consuming enough calories, explain why you are not. The nutrients that should be compared are:
- Total Calories(4 points)
- Carbohydrates (% calories)(4 points)
- Protein (% calories)(4 points)
- Total Fat (% calories)(4 points)
- Highlight all of the categories from the “Nutrient reports” that you were either over or under in, excluding the following: Mono and Polyunsaturated fats, linoleic, alpha-linolenic, Omega 3 – EPA, and Omega 3 – DHA. (4 points)
- Example: The choosemyplate website recommended that 45-65% of my total calories come from carbohydrates. My carbohydrate intake was 60% of my total caloric intake. The reason why I was in the correct range is because I consumed 2 slices of whole wheat toast and an apple for breakfast. At lunch I had a tuna fish sandwich, which included two slices of whole wheat bread. At dinner I had spaghetti and garlic bread. This is typical of my diet, because I usually have toast in the morning, eat a sandwich at lunch, and eat fruit throughout the course of the day.
- In a paragraph explain what changes you can make to your diet to better reflect the recommendations from the “Choosemyplate” website. I want specifics!This should be a minimum of 500 words. Do not just say that you need to eat more fruits and vegetables. Explain how you will eat more fruits and vegetables, when will you incorporate them into your diet, how much you will incorporate, what you will need eliminate from the diet to make room for more fruits and vegetables.(10 points)
- Using your own recommendations and information that you have learned in class, change your diet and reenter it into choosemyplate.gov. The goal is to reach “OK” on the “Nutrients report” for all categories, excluding the following: Mono and Polyunsaturated fats, linoleic, alpha-linolenic, Omega 3 – EPA, Omega 3 – DHA. Print this report when you have achieved this status. (15 points)
- In a paragraph, explain any difficulties that you may have encountered as you were modifying your diet to meet all of the recommendations from the “Nutrients report”. Also, explain if these changes would be sustainable in your daily life. This should be a minimum of 500 words. (10 points)
- 8. This assignment must be submitted via Blackboard and must contain (in this order) 24 hour food log, “Food Groups and Calories” print out, “Food Groups and Calories” write-up, “Nutrients report” print-out with highlights, “Nutrients report” write-up, paragraph explaining changes you would make, “Nutrients report” with all “OK” status, difficulties and sustainability write-up. If items are not all submitted, and not submitted in the correct order, you will not receive credit for this section (10 points)
*The 24 hour food log must be typed and include: (5 points)
- The times you ate
- What you ate
- How much you ate
For US and UK students, need help on this assignment upload it through our website www.mytutorstore.com or send through email at firstname.lastname@example.org