Essay Assignment Writing Services - Online Assignment Help
Take-Home Midterm #2
Write a response to one of the following two essay prompts, adhering completely to the following directions.
- Your response should be 1-2 Pages, double spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman font.
- If your response goes beyond one page, you MUST print either front and back, or staple.
Multiple page responses that are not collated in one of these two ways will not be graded.
- Your essay is due in class on Monday 3/28. Email submission will not be accepted, nor will late submissions.
- If you chose to do so, you may write a response to the second essay for up to 20% credit. Your extra credit submission must not extend beyond one page. You must specify which one of the two responses you want to be regarded as extra credit. If you do not specify which essay is extra credit, I will grade only the first of your two responses.
- You must cite your written sources any time you make reference to or make use of information from any of the texts we have read in class (Homer or Sophocles).
Essay #1- Discuss the origins, development and the similarities and differences between the political institutions of Athens and Sparta at the end of the 6th century BC. Consider first the origins of the common features of Greek poleis as they emerged from the Dark Age. How did the Athenians and Spartans adapt these institutions to suit their respective needs? What circumstances (social, economic, and political) caused the two cities to develop differently? Finally, consider why the Athenians consider the nature of the differences. Why did the Athenians believe their constitution to be “democratic” and the Spartan “oligarchic”? Is Athens really more democratic than Sparta? Why, or why not?
Essay #2- Discuss the role of prophecy in Greek mythological tales. How and why do the gods communicate with mortals in these stories? Does prophecy in Greek mythology simply inform mortals of an unalterable future, or do the gods use prophecy to guide human behavior? Use examples of prophecy from the works of Homer and Sophocles to support your position.
Essay #2 –Discuss the role of prophecy in Greek mythological tales. How and why do the gods communicate with mortals in these stories? Does prophecy in Greek mythology simply inform mortals of an unalterable future, or do the gods use prophecy to guide human behavior? Use examples of prophecy from the works of Homer and Sophocles to support
Prophecies have an important role in Greek mythological tales because they act as a forewarning and also inform the audience that something is going to happen in the story and the mere mortals will not be able to deal with the situation even if they try their best, “The precise purpose served by the confirmation of a given prophecy may be clear in some instances,