Individual TOPIC for assignment 411-fall 2016- PROJECT 3
Project # 3: Application of Process Safety Management (PSM) of Highly Hazardous Chemicals (29 CFR 1910.119) methods to System Safety Analysis
Project 3 is associated with Unit # 6
Your topic for Project 3 is: 411-Fall 2016- PROJECT 3 - TOPIC -; 411-Fall 2016 - PROJECT 3-4 - Operating procedures and practices in Process Safety Management
Max possible points for project 1 = 95 pts (plan= 5pts + PPT= 40 pts + posting PPT on blackboard= 10 pts + Comments on other students work posted on blackboard = 40 pts)
- All assignments in 411 are strictly individual, identical work will not be accepted.
- There will be penalties for late reports.
- Presentation will be posted on Blackboard (Discussion Board) for the class review and comments.
- Presentations should be in PowerPoint (PPT). Overall format including visual effects, font size, margin size, coloring, graphs, charts, figures and etc. should be (professionally) reasonable.
PPT is expected to include min 30-35 slides
- Title page should include project title, student(s) name, course title and date.
- Project 2 should include purpose, definitions, requirements, etc, you found MOST IMPORTANT when reviewing REFERENCES materials.
Please review textbook, lectures, handouts, and other recommended references and include all important sections and messages by your experience / professional opinion and describe in details into your project PPT presentation.
There should be at least 4 references cited, not more than one of them can be online source. Use a combination of valid website, journals and books.
If you use other references to do that it will be a big plus.
- Project plan sent to me for review and comments due Oct 30, 2016.
By sending PLAN you will confirm the receipt of this assignment.
- PPT presentation sent to me for review and comments due Nov 20, 2016.
- Students have to submit Power Point presentations to the Discussion Board as an attachment/file and everyone could view the project – Nov 26, 2016 (not earlier).
- Students have to review all projects # 3 (posted on Discussion Board by Nov 26, 2016), accumulate your comments in ONE file “411-16 - YOUR NAME- project 3- PPT – comments” , and send me ALL comments as attachment (one file).
Deadline for submission all comments is Dec 3, 2016 (not later).
Comments are VERY IMPORTANT and will be graded equally with PPT (40 pts for each). COMMENTS must be comprehensive with detailed description what did you learn and your opinion about format and meeting of the project 3 requirements and references used.
COMMENTS/ESSAY is REQUIRED to include min 20 PAGES.
Your COMMENTS must include:
What did you learn from particular presentation?
Evaluation of COMPREHENSIVENESS;
Evaluation of required topic description and compliance with project requirements;
Criticism and suggestions.
Again: please don’t post your comments on Discussion board, but just send it to me as one WORD file attachment named 411-fall 2016-SMITH- project 3- COMMENTS
- Your COMMENTS will be graded as a regular assignment.
All assignments for the course (including posting your PPT on Discussion Board and COMMENTS on other students’ work) must be implemented and send to the instructor.
If you didn’t send me any of the assignments your final grade will be reduced by one rank, e.g., from A to B+, and so on.
Please don’t post on Discussion Board your comments, just send to me.
Note: Please when finish your review, send just ONE file when all reviews are completed and comments accumulated in ONE word document.
References for Project 3
- OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.119 And Appendix B and C
- OSHA and EPA Process Safety Management Requirements: A Practical Guide for Compliance, Mark S. Dennison, A Wiley- Interscience Publication John Wiley& Sons, INC, ISBN 0-471-28641-9, Indiana State Library T55.D46.1994
- OSHA PSM Compliance Without Going Bankrupt: The Zerobase Strategy That Works and Saves Money, Max Ansari, Washington Industrial Management Books,
- ISBN 0-965888-1-X, Indiana State LibraryT55.A522.1997
- Bahr, Nicholas, System Safety Engineering and Risk Assessment: A Practical Approach,
Taylor & Francis, 1997.
- Stephans, R.A. and Warmer, T.W., (eds), System Safety Analysis Handbook, New Mexiko Section, System Safety Society, 1993.
- Ted Ferry, Modern Accident investigation and Analysis,1996.
- System Safety 2000: A Practical Guide for Planning, Managing, and Conduction System Safety Programs, Joe Stephenson, Van Nostrand Reinhold New York,
ISBN 0-442-23840-1, Indiana State Library
- Industrial Safety and Health Management: Fifth Edition, C. Ray Asfahl, Pearson Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-142392-4, Indiana State LibraryT55.A83.2003
- Kavianian, H.R. and C.A. Wentz Jr Occupational and Environmental Safety and Management,., Van Nostrand Reinhold New York, ISBN 0-442-23822-3, Indiana State Library T55.K38.1990
- Goetsch, David, Occupational Safety and Health, 6th ed., 2007,Pearson Prentice Hall,
Handout # 23, (Power point), OSHA PSM Standard 29 CFR 1910.119, Overview and general requirements.
Handout # 24, (Power point), OSHA Compliance Guidelines and Recommendations for Process Safety Management (PSM).
Handout # 25, (Power point), OSHA PSM Standard 29 CFR 1910.119, Training requirements.
Handout # 26, (Power point), PSM, OSHA Guidelines for Managing Hazardous Materials
Handout # 27, (Power point), PSM, OSHA Guidelines for incident investigation, emergency preparedness, and compliance audits.
OSHA PSM Standard 29 CFR 1910.119 can be used in Project/ Essay # 2 over Process Safety Management