Online Tutors to Help with Homework
- Duval, D.T. (2007) Tourism and Transport: Modes, Networks and Flows. Clevedon, UK: Channel View Publications.
- Describe the meaning of a mode.
- What were the top five airlines in the world in 2004?
- How many of these were based in the United States?
- What general pattern do you see in inbound and outbound air travel to and from the Maldives since 1986?
- In terms of technological development, what form of tourism is most closely related to air travel and cruises?
- In your own words, what three trends are noted in your book regarding tourist motivation and demand? Can you think of one more, not mentioned in the book?
- Define a network.
- From a current trends perspective, what are four barriers to mobility?
1. Describe the meaning of a mode.
Mode can be described as the manner, style or way of doing something. In tourism, the modes are related to transport and the means of travel. Air transport, ground transport and marine transport and in future space transport are the main modes of transport, “A particular transport ‘type’ shall refer to the actual means of mobility realized within a particular mode” (Duval, 3).